Father Thomas Shea Council #11178
Our Lady of the Lake Church
Fr. Shea Hall (Church Basement)
224 Sheep Pasture
Southwick, MA 01077
The history of Our Lady of the Lake Church began on January 29, 1945 when Fr. James Kirby, pastor of St. Mary’s Church in Westfield announced that a Catholic Church would be erected on Sheep Pasture Rd in Southwick.
The new church was started on September 1, 1947 as construction began on a 3 acre parcel on land which had been donated by Mr. & Mrs. Daniel Keenan Sr. The basement church was completed by Easter, 1948 when the first Mass was celebrated.
Three years later on June 24, 1951, Our Lady of the Lake was no longer a mission of St. Mary’s Church, Westfield. Bishop Christopher J. Weldon decreed that a new parish be started in Southwick and he appointed Fr. Thomas A. Shea to be the first Pastor…serving until 1964.
The Council was created in 1993 and named in hon0r of Father Thomas Shea, the founding Pastor of Our Lady of the Lake Parish. The founding members included …..